One year for my birthday someone gave me a "gratitude journal." Like any good journal it essentially collected dust on a shelf for me. But the point of the journal was that every single day you were supposed to write down 5 things you were grateful for. Maybe I didn't have the gumption to take on another daily obligation, but bottom line, I do believe its important to be thankful for the good in our lives and not take things (or people) for granted.
In no particular order, I give you 10 random things from this year that I am extremely thankful for.
1)Health. My friends and family have come through another year. It was about a year ago my mom was in the hospital with emergency surgery. I knew with every fiber of my being they were doing to find some large tumor or tell us she had progressed cancer. In the end, she didn't and she is fully recovered now. But it's a reminder, that in the blink of an eye lives changes. Sickness comes. A diagnosis can change everything. I am so thankful that unlike thousands of other people in the world today, I am not bent over a hospital bed, praying for a miracle today.
2) My divorce. I am thankful for finding the courage to pull the trigger. And I am thankful for the immense support I've had from everyone!
3) Weight loss. I am happy that after a few years (and a few babies) I found the motivation to lose weight and feel like myself again. I just wish I had done it a few years ago!
4) Retirement: My mom retired this year and I am so happy for her! She raised two kids by herself and she worked long and hard to do it. We had some really lean years along the way. I am so happy to see her enjoying her time and filling it with things she actually WANTS to do!
5) My job. In this economy, people have been devastated by lost jobs. I have a job that I enjoy and I work with some great people!
6) My girls. I am so thankful for my two beautiful baby girls, and I am so glad that they have each other. There is nothing like a relationship with your only sibling and I am so happy for them that they have that gift! It will be something that they cherish for a lifetime!
7) New faces. As years go by, we lose touch with old friends and sometimes fill in with some new ones. I've had the opportunity to make some great new connections this year. You just never know when a person is going to find a way into your life!
8) My Blackberry. Yes, I have to admit, I like it. I kind of love it. I cancelled my Internet at home, and having that tiny little connection to the rest of the world is my saving grace!
9) My Grandmother. She recently moved much closer to where I live. She is an amazing and talented person and I a so grateful to have her closer!
10) Hope. For as long as I can remember, I've had no hope of living a happy fulfilling life, in all areas. I've truly forgotten what it's supposed to be like in a healthy, loving relationship. My days of my relationship outlook being nothing but dark and bleak are over. I look forward to the chance to feel hope with another person!
Friday, November 20, 2009
I'll admit, things have been rocky. My life is like a really bad version of Sleeping with the Enemy. Well, except by sleeping I mean divorcing. So, Divorcing the Enemy. Harassment, lots and lots of mean-spirited stuff directed at me and worst of all, lots negative energy being displayed in front of my children by their parent (ummm--- the not me parent...)
I guess, given the current state of affairs, I don't feel like trying to make light of the situation. It's really bad. And it weighs on my very soul.
I'll continue to pray. And I continue to be so grateful to the amazing people in my life! Love you all!!